Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Evaluating my GAME plan progress

One of the initial goals in my GAME plan is to learn new technological tools that I can integrate into my classroom. I have been using graphing calculators for many years in my classroom, but this week, it was the first time I get the students to discover something new on their own using this technology. They used pre-learned skills to explore equation of a circle and they were able to come up with the standard equation of a circle without my help. I have tried to use that application “CabriJr” in classroom many times, but it was not interesting until students were able to actually see the benefits of using it, and I heard someone saying: “This is cool, I like it.”

I have learned over the past few weeks that the available tools are more than one could ever imagine. All we need is to look for them. I have also learned that students are ready and willing to learn new technologies. It just needs to be well presented to them, because they always think that educational tools are boring.

I still need to learn how to get students engaged in exploring real-world issues and solving authentic problems using digital tools and resources. I think that this week’s resources and what we are learning about problem-based learning will address this issue, but it will need some practice in classroom until one can be comfortable using this method on a regular basis.

I think I need to take time to think about what is truly important to me and my students right now. What can we actually use, that is beneficial, practical, and supportive of their learning.

2 comments:

  1. Joseph,
    I think you are on the right path. Your lesson incorporating rectangles/ composite figures and a home improvement project is something that is practical and will be useful for most students. These are the kinds of math problems that have real-world applications. This is a great start to get students to understand the logic behind the principles. When lessons are relevant students will be more invested in their classes. Good work!
    Nanci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nanci. I wish my students get excited about it.
    Joe

    ReplyDelete