Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Reflection: A Successful Change Agent

As I reflect on my learning in this course, I have to admit that a lot of the diverse, new and emerging technology tools that are available to educators were new to me. I remember learning about Blogs, Wikis, Voicethreads, Concept Maps, etc. in prior classes and I was amazed. This course taught me to take notice of technology tools that are being developed every day. In reference to digital gaming, multi-user learning environments, and learning modules, I have a better understanding of the invaluable skills that these technology tools provide for our students.

What I think will influence my teaching the most is the concept of McLuhan’s Tetrad. McLuhan said that with each new technology, it will enhance, make a former technology obsolete, it “reverses” or rekindles something from the past and finally it retrieves, or will eventually be pushed into something different which will cause itself to be obsolete (Thornburg, 2008).

One innovative learning tool that I have become very interested in and have grown to be an advocate for is digital gaming. Digital gaming “is not just another in the long line of passing fads (or short-term opportunities) in educational technology. It is, rather, a real key to helping our students understand the world” (What Works in Public Education, 2010).

I need to consider the fact that I need to not just share my ideas with my colleagues regarding technology but to elucidate my knowledge to my administrators. I can demonstrate different tools and explain the benefits of employing them in the classroom. I can begin to research avenues for funding through grants and initiate grant proposals. Using the knowledge that I have gained throughout this course, I should be able to provide credible and valuable evidence of support for the integration of technology tools such as digital gaming in school learning environments.

References:

Thornburg, D. D. (2008). Emerging technologies and McLuhan’s Laws of Media. Lake Barrington, IL: Thornburg Center for Space Exploration.

What Works in Public Education. (2010). Eutopia. Retrieved April 13, 2010, from www.edutopia.org/computer-simulations-virtual-learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment