Thursday, January 14, 2010

Developing my GAME plan

Self-directed learning is, “any increase in knowledge, skill, accomplishment, or personal development that an individual selects and brings about by his or her own efforst using any method in any circumstance at any time,” (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009, pg. 2). Therefore, to strengthen my self-directed learning skills, it is important to create a GAME plan to serve as a guide.

The two NETS-T indicators I choose for my GAME plan are:

“1b: To engage students in exploring real-world issues and solving authentic problems using digital tools and resources; and
2c: To customize and personalize learning activities to address students’ diverse learning styles, working strategies, and abilities using digital tools and resources” (National Education Standards for Teachers, 2008).

Goals:
* To learn new technological tools that I can integrate into my classroom.
* To provide a meaningful and applicable education to all my students.

Action:
* I will collaborate with my colleagues to discuss what works and what does not work for their students.
* I will try new technological tools in my classroom and see the results.
* I will look up for the new researches to learn about what is proven to be a good tool.

Monitor:
* I will depend on my students’ observation to monitor their motivation and engagement.
* I will track their tests scores to determine whether students benefit from what I am doing.
* I will have conversations with some of my students to ask for their opinion.

Evaluate and Extend:
* I will collect and record data from the monitoring process to evaluate my plan, so that I will be able to sake a step back to make any necessary changes.
* I will attend workshops offered through my school or other professional institutes to extend my knowledge and skills.

References:

Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

National Education Standards for Teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved January 14, 2010 from http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_T_Standards_Final.pdf.

3 comments:

  1. Your goals are very specific and to the point. It really helps to identify what your focus is and how you are going to achieve your goals. Your action plan is geared toward 21st century learning which will assist you in reaching your goal as well as introduce these skills to your students. Being able to collaborate and share ideas is essential when working with technology. Also, just playing around with it and seeing how it works with various lessons is also an important piece. I think this is a great plan for you to focus on this school year with your students.
    Thanks,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joseph,
    I agree with Shannon, that your GAME plan is specific and to the point. I found that I had similar goals in my own game plan, but I really liked that you had included checking student test scores and their opinions in your monitoring plan. It is always helpful to have data to show the impacts that are had on our students when we try new things.

    Nice post!
    Magan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon and Megan,
    Thank you for your feedback. Wish you luck too with your plans!

    Joe

    ReplyDelete